How to Apply to In-State Universities

Silas Botham, Campus Life Editor

It’s that time for seniors to start looking at your options after high school! For all of those who are interested in going to a 4-year public university, this will serve as a guide to begin your applications to the three in-state universities: Arizona State University (ASU), Northern Arizona University (NAU), and the University of Arizona (UA). 

Arizona State University (Tempe, Phoenix)

ASU Campus

ASU is the largest and closest university to McClintock. It has great programs ranging from economics to sustainability and computer science. To be eligible for admission to ASU, you need to meet any one of the following criteria:

1. be in the top 25% of your graduating class, 
  2. have a 3.00 GPA or higher in competency courses, 
  3. have an ACT score of 22 or more, or
  4. have an SAT score of 1120 or more.

You also need to have taken a list of certain core courses in your high school. Most of these courses are already required for graduation from McClintock, so ensure you’re on track to graduate. Two years of the same foreign language are required as well.

To begin your application, go to this link. Follow the steps to create an account and complete each section of the application. 

You may want to find a copy of your unofficial transcript (under the ‘Documents’ tab in StudentVUE) because you can opt to self-report your grades for a faster admissions decision. 

ASU’s application costs $50 for Arizona residents. You may be eligible for a fee waiver – if you qualify for free or reduced lunch, for example – and the $50 fee will automatically be waived if you answer qualifying questions during the application. 

Keep in mind some important deadlines: Submit your ASU application by November 1 to ensure you’re considered for maximum scholarship offers. The regular admission deadline is January 15, 2023. Submit your application by then. 

Northern Arizona University (Flagstaff)

NAU campus

NAU is a smaller university in the cool, wooded areas of Arizona. It has excellent scholarship opportunities and strong programs in areas like nursing. To start your NAU application, go to this link

A couple of things to note: NAU does not have a foreign language requirement and typically assures admission for Arizona residents with a GPA of 3.0 or higher in core classes. It has an application fee of $25, however you can enter the fee waiver code #NAU23 in your application to get this fee waived. 

Deadline: NAU’s final application deadline is August 1, 2023, but you should consider applying as soon as possible to ensure you get the best scholarships and housing available.

University of Arizona (Tucson)

UA campus

The University of Arizona boasts strong programs in nursing and medicine and is found in Tucson, Arizona. To apply to UA, head to this link and create your account. Similar to ASU, UA has a foreign language requirement on top of the typical core courses that are required for graduation from high school. It typically has assured admission for Arizona residents with a GPA of 3.0 or higher in core classes, but it also regularly accepts students with lower GPAs.

Deadline: The University of Arizona’s application deadline is May 1, 2023, but you should consider applying as soon as possible to ensure you get the best scholarships and housing available.