Horseback riding showcases sophomore students’ skills

Garrett Allen, Reporter

Sophomores Anna Tesch and Vivienne Liebig are two girls who love to ride horses in competition. They participate in several shows each year that consist of events like jumping, pole-bending, and roping to test their skill on horses. They do these to show not only their skill in equestrian sports but to show their love of horse-riding and animals.

“I enjoy horse-riding because I really love animals and it’s a great way to connect with them,” sophomore Anna Tesch said.

There are two types of specific horse-riding. There is a western style of horse-riding (which involves things like roping, reining, and cutting) that originates more from the ranches, while there is also an eastern style of horse-riding that involves sports like polo, horse-racing, and show jumping. Both girls have participated in each type of riding.

“I love riding because it’s very relaxing and I have really enjoy spending time with horses,” sophomore Vivienne Liebig said.

Tesch and Liebig were both brought into the sport of horse riding through a club called 4-H; this club helps people get involved in a wide variety of subjects, from science all the way to horse-riding.

“4-H is like Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts, except it goes into different activities like horse-riding or agriculture,” Tesch said.

To prepare for the competitions that they enter throughout the year, Anna and Vivienne ride their horses 1-2 times a week and have meetings with their 4-H club.

“Recently, I participated in the 4-H English competition with my thoroughbred. It was

their first competition, as the horse is new,” Liebig said.

Anna and Vivienne plan to continue riding horses throughout high school as well as continuing to enter competitions.