SADD Club Christmas Tree Helps Heal the Community

Garrett Allen, Reporter

People who make destructive decisions can not only kill or harm themselves, but others too. The Christmas Tree in the Library run by SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions) is meant to remember those who have died to a destructive decision.

“We wanted to show how many loved ones we have lost but still remember. It’s a way for people to celebrate with their lost loved ones,” SADD Club senior Paula Cappuccino said.

Friends or family members of a victim can put their name up on the tree completely anonymously to remember them by.

“The tree helps family members and friends remember their fallen loved one and heal especially during the holiday season.” SADD Club sponsor Jane White said.

The tree not only serves as a remembrance to family and friends but also a cautious warning to stay away from decisions that could put someone in danger.

“We hope this tree will show kids that there are consequences behind destructive decisions and they could ruin their lives and other people’s lives,” Cappuccino said.

This tradition of SADD Club has been running for three years. They plan to continue to keep doing it because of the value that the tree brings to the community.

“The Christmas Tree was put up by SADD students to help people remember those who died as a result of their own or someone else’s destructive decisions,” said White.

To put someone on the tree, write their name on a card and hang it up on the tree in the library. The tree will only be up until the end of the semester and will not be back until next year.