How to NOT fail at high school

Abby Karlin, Features Editor

You’ve heard horror stories about what happens when Middle School turns to High School. The classes get harder, the subject matter is harder, and kids actually have to start studying. So here’s the truth:

It’s all true. It’s just not as bad as it’s made out to be.

Classes are going to kick your butt; you’re not going to understand a single thing that’s happening, and studying is taking hours longer than before with poorer results. Maybe it doesn’t happen right away, but when it does, here’s what you can do to make it easier.

1. Have a schedule. Plan out your week. First put in all the thing you really want to do, like sports or clubs that you’re really exited about. Give yourself the maximum amount of time you think you’re going to need to do your homework and study. If you have any projects due, add an hour. Never underestimate how long it will take you, because then you’ll run out of time.

2.  If you feel overwhelmed, talk to your teachers, your parents, or your coaches. It’s going to be a lot easier to get away with doing nothing if you have their sympathy (just kidding). They usually understand that sometimes life is hard, and most people will be sympathetic enough to let you miss a practice or turn in a homework assignment late.

3. Set goals and reward yourself, even if you fall short. Having something to accomplish will make you feel amazing when you get it, and if you don’t, then you’ll have something to work towards.

4. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Most schools have some kind of program where someone stays after school, like a math clinic or an extra period. If you don’t get something, sitting in agony over a textbook you don’t understand isn’t going to help.

5. Don’t bite off more than you can chew. Clubs and extra-curriculars are great, but only if you’re making the grades you want to see.

6. Do research on what getting good grades can do for you. You’re a lot more likely to want good grades if you know that getting all A’s and B’s will get you a full ride to NAU.

Disclaimer: I suck at life, honestly. I suck at all of these things and motivation is an issue for me as well. Just remember that as long as you’re trying, you’re awesome. Remember to reward yourself and drink lots of water.