Soccer senior night scores big

Alaina Vega, Reporter

Both the girls and boys soccer teams hosted their senior nights during one of the final games of the season.

The girl’s soccer senior night was a success with a 4-0 win against Marcos De Niza.

The game had a crawl- ing start with few points being scored, and it was only in the second half that the girls started to score some real points.

The girls’ team had a losing season, as they were plagued with injuries.

Senior night for the soccer boys was easily one of the most intense games of the season so far.

The game was against Agua Fria High School. The first half was dominated by Agua Fria with two goals. As half time was over and the second half began, the boys began to come back from the rough start.

“Coach talked and motivated us and we started the second half strong and scored a goal like three minutes after it started and that motivated us to keep going,” senior Jorge Anaya said.

By the end of the two halves, the game had end- ed in a tie, and the Chargers went into overtime. Agua Fria put up a good fight to stay in the lead but so did the Chargers.

“I was frustrated because we just came off a big win against the #2 team in the state and this group of young men are having some struggles as far as playing down to their com- petitions,” Coach Spencer Waggoner said. “They need to be more consistent with making people play up.”

The Chargers started down 3-0 and ended up tying the game.

“A tie is better then a loss and overall I was happy that they didn’t lose on their senior night and parents were pretty excited about the game,” Waggoner said.

The final score was 3-3.