McClintock students, faculty, alumni create bowls for annual Tempe Empty Bowls

McClintock High School hosted several days for the community to throw clay to build bowls to benefit Tempe Empty Bowls.

Guidon Staff, Reporter

McClintock High School students, staff, faculty and alumni created over 100 bowls to benefit in Tempe Empty Bowls, an annual arts movement aimed to fight hunger in Tempe.

McClintock Fine Arts teacher Stacy Marko, who was named the 2019 Arizona Art Educator of the Year, hosted several Saturday workshop events for community members, alumni, friends and family to come into McClintock’s ceramics studio and build bowls. The bowls were created through several techniques, including throwing clay on the wheel.

“I have had much help from my advanced Ceramics students, as well as beginning Ceramics students,” Marko said.

Tempe Empty Bowls, now in it’s 18th year, sells the bowls in an open market over two days. All guests who purchase a bowl are given a meal of soup and bread, symbolic of the caloric intake that must sustain many around the world for an entire day. All proceeds will benefit Tempe Community Action Agency and United Food Bank.

The bowls will be for sale on February 28th and 29th in Tempe at $10 per bowl. All of the bowls created at McClintock will be included in the sale.

Other schools in the Tempe Union High School District, including Corona del Sol, Marcos de Niza and Mountain Pointe, also created bowls that will be available for purchase in February.

More event details:

The Empty Bowls Sale

February 28th – 6th Street Park – 11am – 2pm

February 29th – Tempe Library Courtyard – 11am – 2pm

Bowls will be available for sale at $10 a piece.

Visit tempeemptybowls.org for additional information.