‘Vegan’ing a New Lifestyle

Kristine Le, Blogs Editor

Many are changing their eating habits and switching to more healthy alternatives. The vegan lifestyle is growing in popularity, 2.5% of the U.S. have changed their diets from consuming meats and animal by products to plant-based ingredients.

People tend to become vegans or vegetarians in concern for animal welfare. They do not consume dairy and egg products that do not result in the death of animals. However, dairy cows and chickens are slaughtered when age starts affecting their ability to produce.

“After watching the documentary.”Earthling”. I became aware of animal cruelty and didn’t want to be a part of the problem,” junior Zaire Davis said.

Vegan diets are also thought to have many health benefits. Studies shows that animal proteins and fat raises the risks for many diseases such as heart disease and cancer. The protein and other nutrients in meats can be found in other ingredients. Though, vegans and vegetarians have the risk of having vitamin B12 deficiency.

“ I have a lot more energy and feel a lot more healthier,” freshman Inkara Cray said.

Meals at regular restaurants must be custom-made or the available options are few. Specialty restaurants are scarce in the Valley, Pita Jungle, for example, is a large chain that offers a larger variety of items.

“ Social events can be awkward. Friends don’t understand why I chose this lifestyle,” Davis said.