Teacher profile: Jesse Schattin

Leann Natividad, Reporter

Jesse Schattin is the band teacher at McClintock High School who has been teaching for eight years.

Schattin became a band teacher because he had a negative experience in high school. There were three band directors when he was in band and having three directors made things difficult.

“It was always difficult having a bunch of directors because it didn’t make the band good,” Schattin said.

Schattin also wanted to become a band teacher because he enjoyed playing the drums and working with young people.

“My goal was to create a positive experience for my students,” Schattin said.

Schattin’s favorite part about being a band teacher is how not everything’s the same and how everyday is different. There could be good experiences and also bad experiences to go through.

“The hardest thing about my job is watching a student I know who is really good at their instrument not be as great as they could be,” Schattin said.

Schattin graduated from the University of Idaho. His favorite subject in elementary, middle, and high school was band.

“I really enjoy reading, hiking, practicing, spending time with friends, and ultimate frisbe,” Schattin said.

Schattin would describe himself to be intense and active. During class Schattin would move around the room because he can’t just stay in one place.

“I can play most instuments if given a few weeks to practice them,” Schattin said.

The most important piece of advice Schattin got from one of his teachers is the best person in your life is the person who pushes you the most.

“Advice that I have for students is don’t sweat the smallest things. Do what you’re told until you gain enough experience to say you know what you’re doing,” Schattin said.