Boy’s tennis team makes state playoffs with 10-2 record

Raul Benitez, Reporter

For the first time in over a decade, the boy’s tennis team went to the Arizona state tennis playoffs.

The boys ended the season with a 10-2 record, ranking #10 in the division.

The team played against rival contender Notre Dame Prep at the Scottsdale Ranch Park and Tennis Center on Wed., April 26th at 3 p.m.

“We’re very happy to have made it after many years. Even though we lost in the first round, it was the best round of tennis I have seen my boys play. I was so proud of them” Varsity coach Karen Crane said.

In addition to playing at the team tournament, three students played in an individual tournament on Fri., April 21st.

“I am really just so proud of them” Crane said.

In Doubles, senior Adam Garcia and junior Rowen Theilmann represented McClintock.  Senior Ken Moinester played singles at the  tournament. Both Singles and doubles won their first rounds and advanced to the second round.

“I was pretty confident we’d play well; it was exciting to play these matches,”  Garcia said.

Moinester played in the state tournament for the first time, as this was his first year as a Charger.

“I’m very confident, and  I play better every match and I improve on what I need to,” Moinester said.

The team lost 5-1 against Notre Dame, who is currently 5th in the state. Senior Sidney Belitsky won his match in a long-three set tie-breaker.

“I’m really excited about being rank twelve.  This is the highest I’ve been while coaching. The team deserves it,” Crane said.