Honors physics takes trip

Shannon Trotter, Reporter

Honors physics went on a field trip to Castles and Coasters on Fri., Feb. 19. Science teacher Barry Siegwart has been taking his students on the trip every year for 12 years.

“I wanted to give them the opportunity to experience physics in the real world,” Siegwart said.

There were 42 students that went on the field trip and they had to have a permission slip from their parents.

“I enjoyed going on the rides and learned how much physics is incorporated in real life,” sophomore Taylor Bollinger said.

The students were able to experience free fall, centripetal forces, centrifugal forces and all of Newton’s laws while they were there.

“I wanted the students to realize that physics happen outside of the classroom,” Siegwart said.

The class split up into groups with three teachers who volunteered to chaperone. There were many different rides that included experiencing free fall and circular motion.

“I’ve never been before, but I had a lot of fun. My favorite part was when Mr. Siegwart brought us fruit snacks and we went on the free fall ride,” junior Tigana Cheek said.

The students were required to have passed all their classes to sign up and the field trip would last four hours with limited spots available.

“You need to do well in your math and science classes to do well in physics,” Siegwart said.

Siegwart has been working at the school for 15 years and felt that the students did a great job and were all a credit to McClintock.