Arroyo named new principal

Arroyo named new principal

Wyatt Calandro, Writer, Copy Editor

Starting in the 2016-2017 school year, Mayra Barahona-Arroyo will be replacing Derek Hoffland as principal of McClintock High School.

She is currently the principal at J Sterling Morton Freshman Center in Chicago, Illinois. She has been part of the school’s administration since its inception in August 2004. She became of the Center in 2009, after the previous principal, Joe Gunty, was assigned as principal of Morton East High School.

“I am truly honored and excited to be a member of the McClintock family! As your principal, I look forward to building and strengthening the relationships with all of the wonderful students, families, and talented staff of the McClintock community. I am eager to work with such a qualified and committed staff who has collaboratively worked at making this such a quality school,” said Arroyo in a statement.

During a public forum for the final candidates, Arroyo expressed how she enjoys communicating with students, and how at her current district, she meets with 10 students for an hour every other week in order to get feedback.

When asked to give an example of how she was a risk taker, Arroyo spoke about how she built the AP program at her school from the ground up, and how it was a big risk for her, however she was willing to take that risk for her students.

In a statement, TUHSD Superintendent Dr. Kenneth Baca said, “I am excited to recommend Mayra Arroyo to be McClintock’s next leader. McClintock has a rich history, steeped in a tradition of excellence. I am confident in Mrs. Arroyo’s leadership and ability to work with the Charger community. She will work collaboratively with staff and parents to move the school forward, ensuring that the needs of all students are met while furthering the strong academic programs that have been established.”

The  appointment will not be official until the Governing Board of the Tempe Union High School District approves it at their next meeting, April 20th.

One of the other candidates for McClintock principal, Nathan Kleve, was chosen to be the new principal of Corona Del Sol.