Evit Tour

Victoria Vital, Business Manager

Students who were interested in joining the EVIT (East Valley Institute of Technology) program next year went on a field trip to tour the school and get to know a little more about the programs offered on Sept. 29.

EVIT is a program offered to students in high school who are looking to specialize in a career. EVIT offers programs from nursing careers to automotive careers to culinary careers. Most classes at EVIT are hands on, so these students are not just sitting in a desk all day like a normal high school student.

The campus is located in Mesa and is approximately 65 acres, containing more than 17 buildings with all the different classrooms and equipment needed for those classes.

“It’s not like your ordinary high school. Here at EVIT you’re always doing something hands on, and it’s something that you love to do and want to pursue as a career,” an EVIT tour guide said.

High schools all over the valley offer EVIT as a program. Many of the students there are very passionate about what they do, which is why they attend EVIT.

“I think EVIT will give me opportunities that normally high school wouldn’t, and I’m excited to be doing what I love with people that are equally as interested,” sophomore Michelle Carreto said.

There are two sessions that take place during the day: one in the morning, and a second one after lunch in the afternoon. To attend EVIT your counselor has to approve that you’re on track to graduate, and they fit it in your schedule.

EVIT takes the place of three classes, so students will need to be caught up or ahead to free up three periods. If a student is looking to sign up for or attend EVIT they will need to talk to their counselor and add in the classes around January when schedules are being set for next year.