Chess club has a ‘building year’

Shannon Trotter, Reporter

While Chess Club  did not make state this year, the 6-8 students that participated had a great time.

“Chess Club has been one of the most rewarding experiences this year,” sophomore Rowen Theilmann said.

“Chess is a way to connect with others socially, it is a competition to test your mettle, and it is a project you can always add on to,” Theilman said.

The club takes place every day in room 408 during lunch. The club is hosted by science teacher Uvince Lopez.

“We didn’t qualify for state this year as a lot of the best players from last season left for college, but we were still competitive at tournaments,” Theilmann said.

The members of Chess Club are currently trying to get more people involved with the game. Both of the members, and Coach Lopez can teach students how to play chess.

“When we’re at the tournament and they pair us up, there is no better or worse player,” junior Nathan Coll said.

Chess Club allows all grade levels to participate and occasionally they participate in competitions that last all Saturday.

“Our chess tournaments are held during Saturday’s and we play chess on the bus to prepare for the game,” Coll said.

Around 50 schools are placed into the competition, with twenty in our division. Coll, president of the club, won 14th place at a chess tournament last year.

“When you’re playing, to me, it’s very interesting how the mind works,” Coll said.

Students join Chess Club to challenge themselves and to have fun in the process.

“Playing chess has motivated me to accomplish more in my high school career and strive for more,” Theilmann said.  “Every game you play, you can learn and get better and better.”