Band and Orchestra welcomed by ABODA festival

Leann Natividad, Reporter

J.V band, Symphonic band, Chamber orchestra, and Symphony orchestra will be heading to Coconino High School in Flagstaff On Fri., Feb. 26 for the ABODA Area Concert Festival.

“I feel nervous and excited for the festival in Flagstaff. I feel nervous because it is one of the few times I travel outside of the Tempe area. I am excited because I can not wait to perform and go to Flagstaff,” freshmen Michael Villagomez said.

J.V band will be performing three pieces, which are Encanto, Yorkshire Ballad, and Peacemaker.

“My favorite piece to perform is Yorkshire Ballad because it sounds smooth and peaceful,” sophomore Tiyahna Jones said.

Symphonic band will be performing Landscapes, Barnum and Bailey’s favorite and The Old Red Mill.

“I always enjoy festivals. We always get great comments from judges. I think that we are really prepared this year,” band director Jesse Schattin said.

Chamber orchestra will be performing Moorside Suite – 2 movements and Simple Symphony.

“I am excited because this is the first time I will be traveling to another city. I am looking forward to playing the music and showing what we know to other schools,” freshmen Mathnoi Dickson said.

Symphony Orchestra will be performing Waltz of the Flowers, A Gaelic Overture, and Egmont Overture.

“I am looking forward to making great music at the festival. Also, I am looking forward to hearing other groups play,” orchestra director Doreen Press said.